Thursday, March 3, 2011

A leopard can’t change his spots…but why would he want to?

I’ve previously mentioned my eternal love/obsession with leopard print on the blog but considering it is dominating shops, blogs, websites and the street at this particular fashion moment in time, I feel it deserves a post of its own.

Cue squeals and applause. I know. I can barely contain my excitement either.

So why leopard print some may ask…Seriously, do I really have to answer that???

Since the dawn of time (ok more like the first half of the 20th Century) leopard print has signified glamour and sex appeal. It’s eye-catching, chic, and fun and has the magical ability to transform an outfit in an instant. Personally, when I wear it I feel instantly sexier and more youthful, and I know I can’t be the only one who feels this way! Honestly, what’s not to love?

Marilyn, Brigette and this semi-androgynous young model who looks a little bit like Liz Taylor all wore it. 


Photobucket


Minxy and chic don’t you think?

Modern day style mavens Nicole, Cheryl and Jessica embrace it too – unsurprisingly noone embraces leopard more than Queen Kate...except maybe Faux Fuschia that is.


Photobucket
Which is your favourite?
Now, I currently own the following leopard print items:
  1. Motel leopard print dress (as featured here). Which I would probably wear every day if I could get away with wearing strapless mini-dresses to the office.
  2. Leopard print pumps. So versatile and comfy.
  3. Primark leopard print flats I bought in London in 2009. Yup you read that right. 2009. For 5 pound shoes that are 18 months old they are still looking surprisingly fabulous. On a side note I wore these today with my navy shift dress from Cue. Sound cute no?
  4. Leopard print headband that can be seen here. This is pretty much the perfect accessory (especially for festivals).
  5. A silk scarf my mum and I sewed about 5 years ago.
As you can see, despite my best efforts my wardrobe is lacking in the all important animal print department. I’ll admit it. I fail.

But all is not lost! I have plans to expand my leopard love like the Roman Empire (after my three month shopping ban is up of course).

This is numero uno on my wish list. I think it is utter perfection. Work and weekend appropriate, not too short, classic style – a few things I have come to expect from Zara. And before you go there I know they don’t ship to Australia but I may be able to convince the boy to buy it for me as a belated Birthday gift. 

Photobucket
Zara's Leopard is just that little bit different...
Clever aren’t I. Sometimes long distance has its benefits.

I would love a pair of these. I mean let's be honest., my Primark pair are going to die sometime and it’s best to be prepared.

Photobucket
I am also quite partial to this pussy bow blouse from Bardot and this other top from Zara. My friend M and I spotted it in Melbourne and I resisted from trying and buying. I’m not sure I could pull it off in real life. I think the Zara skirt will work much better for me hint hint.

Photobucket
Bardot on the left and Zara on the right
Now dear reader, my obsession is taking me to a dark, dark place and I think if I follow it down the rabbit hole some of my friends may actually disown me. I’m serious. We are verging on ‘I love your bracelet where did you get it’ territory (Please refer to Mean Girls if you don’t know what I mean).

So what exactly is this 'going over to the darkside' dilemma?

Well let me tell you. Lately, I have found myself attracted to the soft faux fur leopard print jackets populating stores and wardrobes everywhere. I want one. I mean I want one. I know what you’re thinking…you do too right? Right?? That’s weird I could have sworn…

Photobucket
Kate Spade has created my perfect match in this jacket. How can you not love?
Ok so I know this is pretty irrational, not least for the following reasons:
  1. I would look somewhere between silly and ridiculous in it. I just don’t have enough of an edgy rock chick or 1960s sex symbol in me....or do I?
  2. I live in Brisbane. A city not exactly known for a ‘jacket-is-a-necessity’ climate.
  3. These jackets often walk a dangerously fine line between fabulous and tacky. The possibility of ending up in Katie Price territory is a fate worse than death.
I know. I am scared for myself too. 

Oh the perils of a leopard print love affair…what shall I do?? Seek out the perfect jacket and give in to my desires post shopping ban? Or is this a desire that should remain unfulfilled?

Please feel free to advise away!

xx

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE leopard print too! You must get the skirt if it's too hot for jackets but I agree that there is a fine line between sexy and trashy. I'm always wearing my faux fur leopard coat at the moment because it's so cold!! I love you leopard head scarf and those pumps are super cute too. It's a print I'll never get bored off =)


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this is beautiful!!
    I love it!! ♥
    xx

    Henar
    ..OH MY VOGUE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hannah and Henar! I'm glad you like it. I'm very new to this so it's nice to see other people are enjoying my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little corner of the net. I really appreciate your time and thoughts xx